Going where many couples have gone before, my boyfriend Nick and I spent a stressful month apartment-hunting, only to settle on the infamous pink brownstone in Park Slope. What follows are our attempts to restore our second-floor apartment back to the glory it hasn't seen since the landlord took out the sink and let the paint peel.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Moving Styles

The next day was equally as long. Nick and I woke up and basically immediately started unpacking. We also still have to wear sandals in the apartment because the kitchen floor is coming up and the whole place needs a deep clean. So, dirty because we hadn't properly figured out our bathroom and sweaty because it was in the nineties and we had the AC only on in the bedroom, we unpacked box after box.


I wouldn't mind sweating if I looked like this.


I soon discovered that Nick and I have different moving styles. I, for example, unpack for an hour, then take a break to watch an episode of Friends or Gilmore Girls. Then I unpack for another few hours, take a break, or have the shows on to distract myself. It makes packing/unpacking fairly pleasant.



This show always makes me feel good about life.


Nick, meanwhile, is a machine. HE PLOWS THROUGH THOSE BOXES. However, this also causes him (me) to tire and become crankier. It was only after four hours of unpacking that I thought to suggest to Nick we put on some music. It wasn't Gilmore Girls, but it definitely helped things out. As Nick put it, "Bob Dylan keeps [him] sane."

Is Nick the Terminator in disguise?


I think around that time I was waring on the guy's nerves. For example, Nick wasn't as interested in making things look "pretty" as much as getting them out of boxes. I, meanwhile, wanted to decorate while unpacking. So while Nick was wanting to throw his, for example, water bottle in the display hutch that I decided would show our "prettier" plates and mugs, he quickly realized that I was against that. This, in turn, frustrated the guy. Women!


I'm starting to relate with Annette Benning in THIS scene from American Beauty. Oh my God, I'm becoming my mother.

I, meanwhile, learned that taking constant breaks was not in Nick's plans and learned to take a mini break and plow through. And you know what, that was smart on Nick's part because we have a lot less boxes now cluttering things. (Pictures to come.)

One particularly fun adventure Nick and I had was pushing my old Ikea metal kitchen stand from my old apartment (I had originally planned on leaving it) to our new place. It was 1.1 miles of constant noise, but I got to say... for all the bitching about Ikea not holding up that thing put up with being pushed on shitty sidewalks for half an hour. And now we have SOME kitchen storage. We enjoyed pushing it and the weird looks we got. It was nice to bond.

My boyfriend is so beautiful!


However, near the end of the night the move wore on both of us because Nick tripped on the stairs and strained/tore/pulled his ankle. He was laid up (after stubbornly helping me carry a 12 pack of water) that night with a bag of frozen asparagus on his leg. Hopefully he can relax this weekend. Hopefully we both can.

This experience has been really educational. Nick and I haven't "fought," and we've both been so good at telling the other how much we appreciate them. That said, this is hard. There's no room for romance right now, thankfully we have plenty of trust and understanding. And love. We can bring the romance back. Once we unpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment