Going where many couples have gone before, my boyfriend Nick and I spent a stressful month apartment-hunting, only to settle on the infamous pink brownstone in Park Slope. What follows are our attempts to restore our second-floor apartment back to the glory it hasn't seen since the landlord took out the sink and let the paint peel.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Twist and Shout

Well, I expected the weather to change with the season but not this drastically.

So, there was a tornado in Park Slope! Ahhh! Alert the media. Oh wait, gawker, gothamist, and apparently everyone with a twitter account has been reporting this news. I feel like this is the new "Ground Zero Mosque" thing, only actually far more interesting. And hopefully Tea Partiers won't find a way to ruin this.

I knew something funky was going on because while at work the sky darkened and there was sleet and rain that went horizontal. And this was in MANHATTAN. And then I learned that there was a tornado in Park Slope, and I saw the video linked above. And this spooky picture (that is apparently from 1976?). Then Nick called and informed me that there were fallen tree branches/trees all over our route to and from the subway. Gothamist has pictures!

Things Nick and I learned: our "fixer-upper" apartment is not 100 percent fixed. The windows are cracked/open at the top (it didn't help that we left them open either), which of course allowed rain to get inside and drown Nick's Ninja Turtles DVD. And some furniture. And the floor.

Then we found out that our fridge is leaking.

So much to be done! But at least we have a roof over our heads... so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment